Finding help with small remodeling jobs or repairs can be challenging. Who do you call- a remodeler or handyman? Many people believe that if the job is too small, a remodeling contractor may not be interested and call a handyman instead. Keep in mind that all handymen are not created equal. Every handyman may not be a carpenter, plumber, or an electrician. It is important to find out what type of specialty skills and abilities they possess before finalizing your decision.
Don’t think of a handyman as a way to “save money”. Even if your project is small or minor in nature, it may end up costing you more money if the job is done incorrectly. It is important to select determine what skill level your project requires in order to help you decide on whether you will need to hire a handyman or a contractor.
Where do you start when looking for someone to do a small remodeling job or repair?
- Create a list of all of the work you need done.
- Have a timetable, and map out deadlines for when you need to have the work completed. Determine how flexible you can be.
- Search local resources to find contractors. The BBB and GHBA website are excellent sources when searching for reputable contractors.
- Obtain local references. Read posted reviews or request for the company/independent contractor to provide you with a few recent references that you can call. Be sure to discuss project specifics, as well as reliability and punctuality.
- Find out how their work is priced – hourly or by the job.
- Ask direct questions about the contractor’s experience with previous projects similar to yours.
In addition, it is important to choose someone who is insured. It is also recommended that you get some sort of guarantee of work.
Depending on the scope of your project, it may be worthwhile to consider hiring a general contractor who has master carpenters, painters, plumbers, electricians, aboard. It may cost you a little more, but it will guarantee that the job is done right the first time around, saving you a headache, time, and unanticipated additional expenses!