By Stacy Argo of A-Plus Glass Services
According to National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), in 2019, more than a million Americans spent approximately $158 billion on home improvements. Homeowners across the country are inspired to invest in upgrading and updating their homes. So, throughout the month of May, NAHB’s campaign “May is National Home Remodeling Month” will focus on the importance of working with qualified remodeling professionals.
Springtime is a time for fresh ideas, creative beginnings, something we desperately need in these challenging times. Homeowners are doing spring cleaning and thinking of ways to increase their quality of life possibly by home remodeling.
When starting to plan for remodeling, look for a qualified professional remodeler. You want someone with the highest integrity, experience and in-depth knowledge needed to work on your home which is most likely your biggest investment.
When meeting with potential remodelers, find out if they have experience in the type of project you are interested in and if they have any professional designations or specialized training. If they use subcontractors and suppliers, ask about them also. You should be confident in anyone who will be working, providing products and materials and doing installations in your home.
In times of crisis, for example after Hurricane Harvey, many scammers took advantage of homeowners.
Here are some suggestions to avoid potential unscrupulous contractors:
- Know what you want before you agree to the job.
- Look for local contractors with a physical address, mailing address, phone, and email. Make sure you can verify the contractor’s business address. If they only have a P.O. box, be wary.
- Ask for references from previous local jobs and call and speak with them.
- Be wary of “special pricing” or an unusually low price or money (cash) up front without a written contract. If you don’t have a contract, you are not protected when something goes wrong. Don’t hire anyone who tells you a contract “won’t be necessary.”
- Always check with the Better Business Bureau for their rating and view any complaints against them.
The best way to ensure your home dreams become reality is through the work of a professional home remodeler. You may be anxious to start on your new home improvement project but taking the time to check out a remodeling company and their work will give you the best chance for a successful project rather than a project gone wrong.