By Kevin Vick of Vick Construction & Remodeling
Just as a business usually has a business plan a homeowner needs a home renovation plan when embarking on a remodeling project.
There are several important things to consider when planning your project, even before hiring a remodeling professional.
- Think about your needs, what you want to accomplish with your project and the most efficient way to accomplish it.
- Set short term and long terms goals for your project.
- Do you plan to be making structural changes to your home and/or interior layout changes?
- Determine your preferred style. Identify the key features of each style type to discover which style is best for your new home remodel.
- What materials and finishes inspire you? What are your must-haves for the project? The must-haves are the features that will change how you live in the space. These are the things you really don’t want to cut or compromise on, because they’re essential to your lifestyle or vision. In a kitchen renovation, for example, a must-have could be removing a wall to open the area to an adjacent room, while a nice-to-have might be a pot-filler faucet behind the stovetop.
If you are planning a whole house renovation decide how much of your home to remodel and the purpose for the renovation. Can you work within the square footage of your home or will you require an additional room or second story addition? Will your project add to your home’s function or fit into the budget? It’s a good idea to prioritize your top must-haves for this extensive project before making a definite plan.
It’s time to select a qualified professional remodeler. Look for a remodeler who has good working relationships with designers. You, your remodeling professional and designer should share common goals for your project and prioritize features according to your needs and budget. For example, if one of your main goals includes energy efficiency and new technology that may go at the top of your list when determining your budget.
Your remodeler and designer can advise you on different alternatives with respect to materials and finishes that will help you to stay within your budget.