Kitchen Design Trends For 2021
Out with the old, in with something better for the New Year. The challenges of COVID 19 has left its mark on the way we use our kitchen in our homes. The following are kitchen design trends based on the National Kitchen and Bath Association’s (NKBA) Annual Design Trends Study. This is a survey of designers, remodelers, architects, dealers and manufacturers who are on the cutting edge of kitchen design. The results of this study identify which kitchen design styles will be the most popular over the next three years and the appliances, materials, finishes, colors and lighting which will be incorporated into these styles. Additionally, the study explores the technology solutions which will be integrated into new or remodeled kitchens over the next three years.
2021 kitchen design trends:
- Work at home and schooling areas in kitchens
- Larger kitchens and islands to accompany family gatherings with more seating
- Contemporary style most popular, Transitional (blend of traditional and contemporary) second in popularity while Organic/Natural comes in third- a jump up from ninth place last year switching places with Traditional style.
- Increasing technology needs include dedicated charging areas, voice activated lighting controls, emergency power sources for refrigerators, detectors for floods and power failures
- Walk-in pantries
- Painted wood cabinets white or off white most popular.
- Light colored cabinets with different color cabinets on island
- Light colored quartz for countertops and backsplashes
- Hardwood or engineered wood flooring most popular, then luxury vinyl/wood plank, ceramic porcelain tile third.
- French door refrigerators
- Stainless steel appliances are still the most popular, those with matching cabinet panels are second in popularity.